The Pear Tree House
- Telephone 0131 667 7533
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11–1am; Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Deals: sharing nachos and a bottle of house wine, £17. Sun: two sirloin steaks, sides and bottle of house wine, £40.
- Average price Bowl Buster lunch £2 (Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.peartreeedinburgh.co.uk
Newly refurbished pub and restaurant in the heart of studentland, with one of the most famous beer gardens in Edinburgh.
Prepare to be astonished by the new Pear Tree. Long famed for having arguably the best beer garden in Edinburgh (it still does, a cobbled courtyard filled with picnic tables with sports on a huge outdoor screen and six live bands a day during the Festival) its scruffy student ambience put off as many drinkers as it attracted on rainy days. But after a six-month closure and refurbishment in the first half of 2017 it now looks lovely – from the attractively lit trees around the stylishly up-lit stairway at the front door, to the clean wooden flooring and stripped-back brick walls, to the rows and rows of gleaming red-lit spirits behind the bar. The pub food menu looks good and is reasonably priced, with burgers, steaks, fish and chips, pulled pork nachos, charcuterie boards and a braised daube of beef. A daily food bowl special (served Mon to Fri, noon–2.30pm, or until they’re gone) is a great idea too.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Six bands a day during the Festival in August only.
- Capacity: 120 (850 in total, inside and out)
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: Unknown
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar crawls: Edinburgh - The Prudent Student18 Nov 2011
A cheap and cheerful crawl from Marchmont to Grassmarket
I have a confession to make. I’ve never really been much of a bar crawl sort of gal. The idea of systematic drinking (vb. to lash, I suppose) with a bunch of overgrown rugby boys, with their girlfriend’s underwear on as outer wear, has never really…
Neighbourhood watch: Newington, Edinburgh27 May 2011
A guide to the ares of the Scottish capital dominated by Edinburgh University
What's it like? Okay, we'll get the inevitable out of the way first. There are a lot of students living in Newington. And while we know some of our readers aren't that keen on students, their presence does imbue the area with a certain bounce and life…
Beer Gardens in Edinburgh1 Jun 2009
Gardens and beer, two words we like for themselves - but we like them even more when they are put together. So, in honour of summer, here’s our guide to Edinburgh’s top beer gardens.