- Telephone 0131 337 5828
- Opening times Daily: lunch noon–2.30 pm; dinner 5pm–midnight.
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.verandahrestaurant.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
In the same family hands for over 30 years, Dalry Road’s Verandah Tandoori continues to serve its loyal clientele with well-prepared Bangladeshi and Indian cuisine. Overseen by images of celebrity diners from decades past, Manager Foisol Choudhury and his quietly effective team navigate tables clad in white linen in a compact room of unadorned peach and chocolate walls – an interior refresh should be complete by spring 2012. Increasingly popular thali and fish curries are supported by Indian classics, tandoori and biryani dishes, with the citrusry Bangladeshi favourite shatkora and tomato rich chicken hara massala residing in the specials. Vegetarian dishes palok gagor – its spinach and grated carrot lifted by creamy cashew nuts – and the flavourful chick-pea and potato chana aloo can be preceded by a mix of pakora and kebab starters, king prawn puri and yoghurt-marinated tandoori lamb chops. Banquet dinner options, a two-course lunch deal and a comprehensive takeaway offering complete the picture for a restaurant whose décor and menu is looking to recapture its best years.
- High point: Extensive menu choice and banquet deals
- Low point: Tandoori lamb chops starter a little dry
- Delivery: Free; minimum order £15
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indian music
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 1981
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle