- Telephone 0141 334 0686
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sun 12.30–6pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5.30–7pm
- Average price £17 (set lunch); £32 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £19.50
- Website www.laparmigiana.co.uk
Classic fine-dining Italian restaurant at Kelvinbridge, with an elegant and stylish interior, high-quality cooking and an extensive wine list.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This long-established, time-honoured restaurant next to Kelvinbridge has been providing a sophisticated slant to Glasgow’s Italian dining scene for nearly 40 years. With classic, understated style, the interior is formal without being stiff, where old-fashioned white linen tablecloths add a sense of occasion to the many celebratory parties that dine here. Having recently taken over the reins from his father, chef-proprietor Matteo Giovanizzi maintains the same high standards of cuisine for which the restaurant is renowned. Handmade lobster ravioli is fresh and light, with deliciously savoury notes of basil coming through the creamy sauce. Mains tend to focus on prime cuts of meat or whole fillets of fish – guinea fowl with porcini mushrooms and grappa has wonderfully robust flavours without being heavy, while the addition of grapes to a red wine sauce adds a lively piquancy to roast Gressingham duck breast. For dessert, sambuca crème brûlée is mildly laced with flavours of liquorice and anise, giving a pleasantly delicate kick. With flawless service in an elegant and intimate setting, La Parmigiana provides a memorable Italian fine-dining experience.
- High point: Finely tuned cuisine
- Low point: Could take more risks with the menu
- Notable dish: Sambuca creme brûlée
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: eclectic mix of easy listening and jazz
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 1978
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £19.50 for white, £16.95 for red per bottle