- Telephone 0141 221 9160
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5pm–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–7pm; Sat 3–6pm
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.lalanterna-glasgow.co.uk
Long-established, family-run Italian restaurant in the city centre with delicious, skilfully prepared food that is by turns traditional and inventive.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A meal at La Lanterna feels like a dining event, with an impressive menu that is both familiar and surprising, along with regular specials of chef Luca Conreno’s invention – dishes that are wonderfully balanced and prepared with great skill. Order the piatta nordico – marinated tuna and swordfish – and be presented with thinly sliced, slightly pink cured fish, light and delicious, with deep-fried courgette flowers. Or start with pasta, where the ravioli really stands out, light and delicate with a rich, smoky stuffing of aubergine and scamorza cheese, or duck and apple, the deep meatiness of the duck cut through with the sweetness of the fruit – clear your plate with disappointment that the little pasta parcels are gone. Saltimbocca alla romana, rose veal cutlets topped with pancetta, mozzarella with a deep, creamy sage and white wine sauce, is sublime – and a nod to Glasgow here with a side of crunchy, twice-fried potatoes. Desserts are luxurious, with the tiramisù – made to owner Christopher Martinolli’s mother’s 40-year-old recipe – surely one of the best in the city.
- High point: Fantastic food, authentic and inventive
- Low point: No disabled access
- Notable dish: Ravioli novelli
Awarded Best Italian Restaurant in Scotland 2013 and 2014, and winner of The Glasgow Restaurant Associations' Best Italian Restaurant, La Lanterna has been serving customers Glasgow's finest Italian food experience for over 44 years. Situated opposite Central Station, adjacent to Radisson blu Hotel and 5 Minutes from The Hydro arena it is in the ideal location for a business event or for visitors to the city. On offer are a fine selection of handmade pastas and raviolis with wild Boar or seafood. For meat lovers there are a selection of steaks including both veal and beef T-bones. A selection of daily fish specials are always available along with an extensive Italian wine list selected from the finest vineyards in Italy. A warm welcome awaits in a friendly and intimate atmosphere in the heart of Glasgow.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: opera classics
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 1970
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle