- Telephone 0141 636 6955
- Seasonal times Open Sun if special occasion, eg Mother's Day or private party
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 4–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £15.90
- Website battlefieldrest.co.uk
Old tram station that blends the best in Italian cooking with Scottish ingredients and influence.
This Southside institution celebrates its 25th year in business this summer – and long may it continue to thrive. The location alone makes it a unique proposition. In a constantly evolving cityscape it remains a reminder of the not so recent past – where else can you dine in an old Glasgow tram shelter? Beloved of the local population, it’s a bustling, lively spot – booking is always advisable. The menu is vast, covering lunch, pre-theatre and à la carte options, with a focus on the long-standing relationship between Italy and Scotland, exemplified best by the linguine Scozezzi – a gorgeously creamy marriage of Shetland mussels, Arbroath smokies and pasta. There are myriad delights: the crostini goat’s cheese, with a salad of apple, celery and walnut, is exceptionally fresh; the calzone Battlefield is a meat-eater's dream; the humble rigatoni Piemonte is an old tomato-based favourite that sings. There’s an option to split a pizza and pasta dish for two – helpful for the switherers. For after, the ice-cream of choice is S. Luca’s delicious diary, with some whisky and tablet influenced treats alongside. Here's to another quarter century.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Bratpack hits
- Live entertainment: no
- Capacity: 82 (6 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50, or 82 for a private function
- Open since: 1994
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 22
- House wine: £17.90 per bottle
Reviews & features
Eating & Drinking Guide Awards 2019: Glasgow winners16 Apr 2019
The List's annual food and drink award winners in Glasgow include Locavore, Five March and the team behind Cafezique
The List's annual Eating & Drinking Guide has announced the winners of its Eating & Drinking Awards for 2019. With the publication of the guide's 26th annual edition, ten venues across Edinburgh and Glasgow have been highlighted by the reviewers…
Down under - Glasgow's South Side10 Sep 2009
The West End might shout louder and jangle its designer bracelets more ostentatiously, but for its many residents, the gigantic, sprawling mass of the South Side is the true heart of Glasgow. As many local historians and geographers have observed…