- Telephone 0141 221 8886
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11.30am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11.30am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun 11.30am–10pm.
- Average price £13.50 (lunch); £13.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.sloansglasgow.com
Long-running mac 'n' cheese haunt found in the city centre down a cobbled lane.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Every city needs a place famed for its mac ’n’ cheese and in Glasgow, it’s Sloans. The pub, set down an atmospheric cobbled lane off Buchanan Street and reputed to be among the oldest in town, is even home to Scotland’s Macaroni Appreciation Club (yes, it’s a thing) as if further proof is needed of its local speciality pasta pedigree. Set back from the main thoroughfare of Buchanan Street, it excels in good, affordable pub grub done right – mac ’n’ cheese, obviously, with various toppings including parmesan and blush tomatoes, an excellent steak pie, or hog roast bap and apple sauce. What's more, a cap is doffed to locality in its sourcing, with bread from popular bakery Tapa and there is also a range of entertainment during the week that keeps punters and staff busy, including a pub quiz, musical bingo, a folk night and film nights.
- High point: Outdoor seating for al fresco dining
- Low point: Gets noisy on quiz nights
- Notable dish: Mac 'n' cheese with parmesan and tomato topping
- Private dining: Up to 300 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop/80s tunes
- Live entertainment: Tue - movie night (2 film tickets and two meals for £13.95); Wed: folk night; Thu - pub quiz; Fri - ceilidh; Sun - musical bingo;
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 300
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: Sun–Thu £12.20; Fri–Sat £15.20 per bottle
There are 4 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
All the Young Nudes
A relaxed life drawing club with music and a bar to aid the flow of inspiration.
Glasgow Life Drawing and Sketching
This group is for anyone who likes to draw. Unlike other artists like musicians, actors or dancers… people who like to create drawings often do so alone. Once finished they tend to hide their sketch pad somewhere and few people get the pleasure of seeing their work. There's nothing wrong with that but it could also be a…
Mon 12 Dec
Mon 19 Dec
Mon 26 Dec
Little Birds Indoor Market
Over 20 stalls featuring a range of goodies, with vintage and antique fashion, accessories, cakes and crafts.
Well-heeled weekly outdoor shopping market tucked just off Buchanan Street, with stalls stuffed full of gourmet treats, vintage one-offs and classy crafty things.
Reviews & features
Glasgow - Merchant City16 Apr 2009
Independent Shopping Guide
From the polished windows and grand granite buildings on Ingram Street to the lo-fi galleries that line Parnie Street, the Merchant City is a tale of two shoppers: as one strolls in and out of top boutiques, paper bags flapping in the wind and metal…