Milk at The Fruitmarket Gallery
- Telephone 0131 226 8195
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–5.30pm; Sun 10am–5pm.
- Average price £11 (lunch)
- Website www.fruitmarket.co.uk/cafe/
Focused on yummy, healthy eating, this café is truly family-friendly, eagerly supporting exposure to art from an early age.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Complementing its host gallery’s rotating displays of contemporary art, the Milk at Fruitmarket café is bright, open and cheerful. Enter via the colourful gift/book shop to find a space flooded with light from floor to ceiling windows. Focused on yummy but healthy eating, this is a café that is truly family-friendly, eagerly supporting the happy exposure to art from an early age. As well as providing low-fat, gluten/dairy/wheat-free options, Milk also has enticing vegetarian, vegan and superfood choices, clearly marked on their changing menu and daily specials board. Homemade soup might be rosy sweet potato and red pepper, creamy and mellow. Peanut chicken is slow roasted, dressed with lemongrass and sweet soy, wrapped in a truly tender flat bread with fresh, vibrant slaw even slaw-haters will love. Need a vitamin charge after all that art? Try superfood salad, with steamed broccoli, quinoa, kale, pumpkin seeds, mint and feta. The kids’ menu includes seasonal vegetable baby purée and small portions of the main menu. Home baking is delish too, so indulge.
- High point: Nice mix of diners, virtuous but yummy food
- Low point: Only open when gallery is operating
- Notable dish: Superfood salad
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: jazz
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle