Milk at The Fruitmarket Gallery
Focused on yummy, healthy eating, this café is truly family-friendly, eagerly supporting exposure to art from an early age.
Health and happiness mingle harmoniously here, as do a plethora of contented customers from families with kids in tow to art lovers and lunching foodies. The Fruitmarket Gallery Café has a recognisable commitment to food that both does good and tastes good. Vegan, gluten and dairy free tray bakes are far from a poor relation when a chocolate truffle slice topped with nuts, fruit and petals is worthy of exhibiting in the gallery. Those with less of a sweet tooth are treated to a creative and thoughtfully constructed set of salads such as sweet potato, kale and quinoa fritters partnered with cinnamon-spiced carrots, seeds and yoghurt. Sandwiches are enlivened by flatbreads and homemade chutneys; even breakfast options provide a refreshing departure from the usual suspects. Despite being one of a growing band of Milk venues in the city, the self-consciously stylish but friendly interior here can’t help but make its own unique mark.
- High point: Chocolate cake made with sea salt and olive oil
- Low point: The lunchtime rush
- Notable dish: Salads and cakes
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: popular, easy listening
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £19 per bottle