Café Modern One
- Telephone 0131 332 8600
- Seasonal times Open till 5.30pm in August
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm. [Coffee & cakes: Mon–Fri 9am–4.30pm; Sat/Sun: 10am–4.30pm] Closed
- Average price £8 (lunch)
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk
Simple space serving a lovely selection of fresh fare with a smile.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Nestled underneath the striking National Gallery of Modern Art, Café Modern One stands very much on its own two feet. Art aficionados are, no doubt, delighted to find an above average café in which to recharge between bouts of appreciation, but Modern One also attracts a large local following. Ladies lounge over leisurely lunches and families gather over bakes and buggies. The space is plain, leaving the visual attractions to the garden and gallery, while the focus is on the food. Dishes change daily and include herbs and vegetables from the café’s own garden. Salads are particularly good, combining the likes of roast parsnip and carrot, honey, feta, plums and toasted sesame seeds, and there are always plenty of vegetarian and gluten-free options. The cakes, staple of any café, are plentiful and tempting - look out for the moist and well-balanced Guinness cake. Worth the short trip out of town.
- High point: Fresh, flavoursome food
- Low point: Busy times (particularly weekends) mean queues
- Private dining: 200 (can hire whole space)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: nothing
- Capacity: 120 (195 in summer)
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 1987
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16 per bottle