Café Modern One
- Telephone 0131 332 8600
- Seasonal times Open till 5.30pm in August
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm. [Coffee & cakes: Mon–Fri 9am–4.30pm; Sat/Sun: 10am–4.30pm]
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk
Bustling, big, bright self-service cafe offering superb lunch staples and sublime bakes.
As the type of café that suits every occasion, Café Modern One is hard to beat. Whether for parents with or without offspring, lunch with the rellies or catching up with friends, its bustling atmosphere is comfortable and relaxed. A hearty bowl of soup complete with crusty seeded bread gets things off to a filling start – courgette and pea is nicely minted, while better-than-your-grannie’s Scotch broth is wholesome. Perfectly judged broccoli and cheddar frittata provides a riot of colour with harissa roast veg as salad accompaniment, while rich lamb mince and peas in filo pastry evokes flavours of the Middle East. Baked potatoes and salads such as crunchy coleslaw with pomegranate seeds are regular staples of the menu. Cakes are a joy to behold in the serving area, a short wait in the queue giving time to decide which one(s) to come back to later.
- Private dining: 100 (can hire whole space)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: No music
- Capacity: 100 (150 in summer)
- Largest group: 50 sit down/100 drinks/canapes
- Open since: 1987 (or possibly 1983 - no-one was certain)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle