Café Modern One
- Telephone 0131 332 8600
- Seasonal times August: open till 5.30pm
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm. [Coffee & cake: Mon–Fri 9am–4.30pm; Sat/Sun: 10am–4.30pm]
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk/cafes/…
Bustling, big, bright self-service café offering superb lunch staples and sublime bakes.
A combination of dependable homemade lunches and cakes with a bright, comfortable laid-back dining space means that this café is much more than simply a refreshment stop for gallery-goers. Locals bring in a steady stream of custom for morning coffee even in the quieter months and regulars flock on sunny days to lounge in the idyllic walled garden with ice-cream. A creative array of daily changing salads combine pulses and grains with roasted vegetables or seasonal fresh produce grown in the gallery’s own kitchen garden. They are served in generous bowls as a pick and mix lunch option or alongside mains such as peppers stuffed with feta and quinoa or herb butter-roasted chicken. Cakes are enlivened with dried petals from the beautiful grounds and it is hard to decide between picture-perfect cherry blossom cake or an elegantly bedecked lemon and semolina loaf.
- Private dining: 100 (can hire whole space)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 80 (150 in summer)
- Largest group: 50 sit down/100 drinks/canapes
- Open since: 1987 (or possibly 1983 - no-one was certain)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £20 per bottle