- Telephone 0131 332 5257
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–4.30pm (coffee, cake and scones 10am–4.30pm; lunch noon–3pm; sharing platters noon–4pm)
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk/cafes/…
Spacious café within the Scottish National Gallery's Modern Art Two building, with a Scottish-Italian inspired menu and baking made from scratch.
Painted in cream and the deepest of burgundies, Café Modern Two could easily be a 20th century European coffee house where aspiring artists discuss wild and wonderful ideas. Table service and afternoon tea suggest that this is more than just a place to refuel between exhibitions and the lunch menu features classic brunch sandwiches with more substantial hot mains. The smoked mackerel risotto is light but rich, while croque madame comes with a hint of mustard and a side of warming chilli jam. Cakes and bakes are temptingly exhibited at the counter and they’re definitely not just there to add aesthetic appeal: the white chocolate and raspberry slice is crafted with enough raspberry tang to avoid being sickly, while the rich salted caramel brownie sticks satisfyingly to the roof of your mouth.
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Music licence planned for 2020
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: December 2019
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £22 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best arts venues for food and drink in Edinburgh22 May 2019
Contemporary or classic art, these cafés will all satisfy your lunch and coffee cravings
Since these eateries are inevitably found in Edinburgh's most spectacular spires and quirkiest corners, their dining spaces are sought after by some of the city's most dependable brands and caterers. As such, the menus often have a following of their…