Café Modern Two
- Telephone 0131 624 6273
- Seasonal times Festival: some extended opening.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm. Coffee & cakes 10am–4.30pm; afternoon tea 2.30–3.30pm.
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk
Bright, spacious café with good food made from scratch and reflecting Scotland's artistic heritage.
Shhh, don’t tell, but it really is okay to visit an art gallery just for the café. Even so, viewing the current exhibition is perhaps better enjoyed after a satisfying lunch or before afternoon tea. In Café Modern Two, with its relaxed lunchtime flexibility, a cup of soup can be added to main courses and hot baked sandwiches, or taken as a bigger plateful with crusty bread, oatcakes or scone. The intense green of spinach and pea could have come straight off an artist’s palette. Proud that everything cooked, baked or assembled here is made from scratch, the café’s mains include traditional favourites such as Cullen skink or steak and ale pie. Neatly presented hot-smoked salmon fishcakes are accompanied by light homemade tartare sauce. Gourmet sandwiches, generous scones with cream and jam, Victoria sponge and other sweet treats are the stalwarts of afternoon tea.
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: nothing
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 16; events up to 100 (drinks and canapes)
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £25 per bottle