Café Modern Two
- Telephone 0131 624 6273
- Seasonal times Festival: some extended opening.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm. Coffee & cakes 10am–4.30pm; afternoon tea 2.30–3.30pm.
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk
Bright, modern café reflecting Scotland's artistic and culinary heritage.
This sophisticated cousin to the café at Modern Art Gallery One offers table service and a more sedate pace for lunch. Although the food is not elevated to anything far beyond café fare, there are some pleasing departures from the usual soup, sandwiches and salads. Mushrooms on toast is served on sourdough and a rich creamy sauce is textured with walnuts. Light bites also include a selection of considered choices from a Mull cheddar and leek tart to warmed goat’s cheese with figs. Desserts are an eye-catching array of traybakes and sponges including an orange polenta and rosemary cake. The highlight here though is undoubtedly the memorable dining surroundings, with Paolozzi’s huge iron man statue looming above the dining tables. Despite a decidedly grown-up feel, children are welcome and staff are notably friendly as well as efficient and well-informed.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: nothing
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 16; events up to 100
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £25 per bottle