The New York Steam Packet
- Telephone 0131 220 4825
- Seasonal times Open on Sundays and all evenings during the Edinburgh Festival and in December
- Food served Mon–Thu 5–11pm; Fri/Sat 6–8pm/8.15–10.15pm. Closed Sun apart for large group bookings
- Average price £14.50 Mon–Thu; £16.50 Fri/Sat (set evening meal)
- Website www.newyorksteampacket.co.uk
Relaxed, fun venue with a great value 3-course set menu and BYOB policy.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Tucked away on a lane off Rose Street, up a spiral staircase lies the good ship New York Steam Packet, a lively and friendly restaurant decorated with a New York nautical nod. The restaurant offers a great value three-course set menu, including somewhat unexpected starters: haggis balls served with whisky mustard dip, and thick, creamy sweet potato and coconut soup. For mains there’s succulent sirloin steak with lashings of peppercorn brandy sauce or one of the juiciest burgers in town, covered in cheese and partnered with impressive golden fries. There’s no license here but they do have a BYOB policy which works well for groups looking for a good-value, social get-together. There are restrictions to note – tables need to be back after two hours and the restaurant is closed on Sundays unless there's a group booking, but like all well-run ships, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of order.
- High point: Great value and fun atmosphere
- Low point: Restricted menu and opening hours
- Notable dish: 6oz "New York" beef burger with epic fries
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mix of styles
- Live entertainment: Occasional acoustic sets and book readings
- Capacity: 34 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 34
- Open since: 1972
- BYOB: £1 per person corkage (Beer and wine, no spirits)