The New York Steam Packet
- Telephone 0131 220 4825
- Seasonal times Festival and Christmas: open every day.
- Food served Tue–Thu 5–11pm; Fri/Sat 6–8pm/8.15–10.15pm.
- Average price £14.50/£16.50 (set evening meal)
- Website www.newyorksteampacket.co.uk
Relaxed, fun venue with a great value 3-course set menu and BYOB policy.
One of Rose Street’s best-kept secrets, the Steam Packet has been around for over 25 years. It’s an intimate venue that makes good use of its limited space, with a spiral staircase leading up to a cosy dining area. As its name suggests, there’s a nautical theme to proceedings, with a hearty abundance of maritime bric-a-brac adorning the walls. A set menu featuring three courses is your only choice for just £14.50 (£16.50 at weekends) which represents great value for money (it’s BYOB too). Crunchy fried haggis balls with a tangy mustard dip get things off to a better start than the rather flaccid potato skins. Mains include sirloin steak (great value at £3 extra), salmon fillet, vegetable enchilada or a selection of burgers. The signature ‘New York’ beef burger is a no-nonsense dish, which could perhaps benefit from some relish or onion to accompany the thick slice of cheese. Desserts are nicely presented, particularly the ever-so-sweet toffee crunch Dime bar cake. No loitering, though: tables are turned every two hours.
- High point: Superb value for money
- Low point: The steep spiral staircase is not suitable for everyone
- Notable dish: Sirloin steak with peppercorn brandy sauce
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 34
- Largest group: 34
- Open since: 1972
- BYOB: £1 per person corkage (Beer and wine, no spirits)