- Telephone 0131 225 2023
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–11pm; Sat noon–11.30pm, Sun 1–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun 1–11pm.
- Average price £7.99 Mon–Thu & Sun; £8.99 Fri/Sat. (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.edinburghrendezvous.co.uk
Having first opened its doors in 1956, the Edinburgh Rendezvous is among the oldest Chinese restaurants in Scotland. In the past couple of years the second-floor space has undergone a makeover, with red drapes hanging from the ceiling that add a pleasing warmth to the vast interior. The Rendezvous has room for more than 150 customers with a huge menu to match which also includes reasonably priced banquets and a lunchtime buffet. The à la carte features some excellent starters, including plump prawns that arrive at the table on skewers and are served with a sizzling hot satay sauce. Making a choice from the extensive selection of mains is tricky but the sweet and sour pork and roast duck in plum sauce have a nice balance of juicy meat and crispy exterior. Overall there are few surprises on the menu here, but if you’re happy to plough on to the final page there are some enticing light snacks and sides such as dumplings with dipping sauce and pancakes with a spring onion filling.
- High point: You won't go hungry with these portions
- Low point: The tried-and-tested menu could be a bit more adventurous
- Delivery: £1
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chinese ballads
- Capacity: 160
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 1956
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £4 corkage