- Telephone 0131 556 1781/557 0940
- Food served Mon, Wed/Thu noon–11pm; Fri noon–midnight; Sat 2pm–midnight; Sun 2–11pm. Closed Tue.
- Average price £9 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.loonfungedinburgh.co.uk
Cantonese restaurant brimming with old-style charm and a talent for seafood.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
In the heart of Canonmills, Loon Fung has been serving up quality Cantonese food to Edinburgh residents for over 40 years. Brimming with old-style charm, muted colours combine with subtle lighting to create a retro, intimate ambience. Fresh fish is a matter of great pride. The scallop with ginger and spring onion belies the simplicity of the description and sees a steamed, buttery scallop and coral resting in an aromatic jus which delivers an exceptionally appetising contrast to the naturally sweet shellfish. Crisp monkfish, with an option of two dipping sauces, is lightly spiced atop a bed of crisp vegetables. Beautifully tender, once more the chef’s deft hand with seafood is on display, although let down a little by a rather simple sauce. Service is friendly but not intrusive, the experienced staff eager to help and share their wealth of knowledge. For the fish of the day alone, this spot just over Canonmill’s bridge is worth a little detour.
- High point: Great customer service
- Low point: Requires a bit of a detour
- Notable dish: Scallop with ginger and spring onion
- Delivery: Delivery only avalable in evenings
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chinese music
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 1972
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage