- Telephone 0131 226 5145
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–2pm, 6–11pm; Sun 6–10pm
- Seasonal times Open all day, every day, during Edinburgh Festival; group bookings taken on request.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 6–10.30pm; Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 6–10pm.
- Average price £9.50 (set lunch); £18.25 (evening meal)
- Website www.viva-mexico.co.uk
The oldest Mexican restaurant in the city, offering an extensive menu of favourites.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
At the ripe old age of 32, Edinburgh’s original Mexican is still as lively and welcoming as ever. The super-central location means there is rarely a quiet moment here. The split-level set up offers a choice of backdrops; upstairs is candlelit and romantic while downstairs is big and brightly decorated, the perfect setting for a lively celebration. The menu is a collection of the usual suspects when it comes to Mexican cuisine along with chef’s specials and their famous fajitas which, even though they admit they’re not technically Mexican, are here due to popular demand. Those wishing to try something a little lighter will be satisfied by the selection of seafood dishes including camarones (king prawns) which can be cooked to order in a choice of three sauces. The diversity of the menu and the space itself mean that when it comes to Mexican dining, Viva Mexico remains many things to many people.
- High point: It's versatile – good for date night or a party
- Low point: Service can be slow on busy nights
- Notable dish: The famous fajitas
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 105
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 1984
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.75 per bottle