- Telephone 0131 226 5145
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–2pm, 6–11pm; Sun 6–10pm
- Seasonal times Open all day, every day, during Edinburgh Festival; group bookings taken on request.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 6–10.30pm; Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 6–10pm.
- Website www.viva-mexico.co.uk
The oldest Mexican restaurant in the city, offering some truly authentic dishes among more familiar options.
The Gonzalez family have been tempting tourists and locals to Edinburgh’s Old Town for 34 years with a taste of traditional Mexico. The menu features family recipes handed down for generations alongside familiar Mexican-inspired dishes, all in abundant portions. It’s well worth sampling these more authentic options so be sure to ask for a recommendation. Like the generous servings, the restaurant itself is big, with upstairs and downstairs dining rooms as well as a third room reserved for private parties. For those lucky enough to have visited Mexico, the décor evokes a genuine sense of la patria – with papel picado (Mexican paper cuts) and atmospheric black and white photography throughout. Back to the menu and choriqueso – cheese fondue with chorizo sausage and spicy tomato salsa served with warm flour tortillas – is a tasty, fusion-style starter. For the main event, chickpea and spinach-stuffed burritos provide a satisfying, home-style combo. The stars of the show are the desserts, with a devastatingly good chilli cheesecake and crème-caramelesque flan baked by las mujeres of the family.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Latin/Mexican music
- Capacity: 105
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 1984
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.75 per bottle