- Telephone 0131 226 5145
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–2pm, 6–11pm; Sun 6–10pm
- Seasonal times Open all day, every day, during Edinburgh Festival; group bookings taken on request.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 6–10.30pm; Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 6–10pm.
- Website www.viva-mexico.co.uk
The oldest Mexican restaurant in the city, offering an extensive menu of favourites.
For more than 20 years, Viva Mexico has served Cockburn Street with tasty Mexican food. Its location could easily have made it a tourist trap, but the restaurant remains loyal to all things Mexican in its décor and its dishes. The space is homely, suffused with images of Mexico, ponchos hanging from the wall, papel picado (Mexican paper cuts) draped throughout, and black and white images of revolutionaries watching on. A starter of chipotle ribs is so tender the meat drops off the bone into a richly smoked and fruity sauce, with a zesty house salsa to top it off. It's a tough act to follow, but the main courses, overflowing plates of spice and rice, manage it. The skirt steak chimichanga is wrapped in a crunchy deep-fried tortilla packed with meat and tangy sauce, and the flautas (rolled tortillas) envelope fluffy, shredded chicken in their crispy coating. If you're not out on a school night, be sure to pick from the cocktail list or go all out from their selection of tequilas.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Latin music
- Capacity: 105
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 1984
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £11.50 per bottle