- Telephone 0131 226 5145
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–2pm, 6–11pm; Sun 6–10pm
- Seasonal times Open all day Mon–Sun during Festival
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 6–10.30pm; Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 6–10pm.
- Website www.viva-mexico.co.uk
The oldest Mexican restaurant in the city, offering authentic dishes among more familiar options.
When it opened way back in 1984, Viva Mexico was Edinburgh’s first Mexican restaurant. Thirty-five years on, it’s proud that little has changed. Sepia photos of long-gone times back home line the walls; papel picado (cut-out paper shapes) string across the room like washing. After all these years, it’s still packing in visitors and loyal locals alike with a menu combining crowd-pleasing Tex-Mex favourites, rarely found traditional Mexican mains and a touch of haggis. If you want to save yourself for a major main course, then start with two tiny corn tortillas, deep-fried and crispy; or calamari with spicy chipotle mayo to dip. Choose a chimichanga or tacos; pick pork and pineapple or sautéed spicy steak. Select sizzling beef fajitas, a special of camarones or maybe a baja burrito or pollo mole (chicken in chocolatey sauce). But be warned: the homemade desserts – perhaps chocolate chilli cheesecake or a custardy egg flan – are tried and tested classics and worth leaving room for.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 60s tunes and Mexican music
- Capacity: 105
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 1984
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.75 per bottle