The Blue Parrot Cantina
- Telephone 0131 225 2941
- Food served Wed–Fri 5–10pm; Sat 3–10pm; Sun 4.30–9.30pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Average price £16 (evening meal)
- Website blueparrotcantina.co.uk
Charming yet quirky Stockbridge institution offering affordable Mexican favourites.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
After 23 years tucked away in a basement on St Stephen Street in Stockbridge, it’s no wonder that The Blue Parrot Cantina has accrued such a loyal band of local supporters. From the rustic and stripped back décor to the traditional menu, the mantra of ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ rings true. Expect a charming but cheeky welcome from the open kitchen and an attentive but relaxed service style. The dimly lit blue and terracotta space, and the trip back outside to the bathrooms, all add to the charm and appeal of this cantina. While much of the menu offers up Tex-Mex favourites, with the usual suspects of quesadillas, nachos and burritos, there are also unexpected discoveries, notably the Pescado Baja, a fresh haddock fillet in a jalapeno and coriander sauce, sealed under a lime breadcrumb topping. Margaritas, mojitos and boozy desserts laced with Kahlua and tequila make this Stockbridge hideaway a bit of a favourite for celebratory meals.
- High point: Tasty Tex-Mex in a charming setting
- Low point: Chilly trip to the bathroom
- Notable dish: Pescado Baja
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: World music
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 28
- Open since: 1993
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle