The Blue Parrot Cantina
Charming yet quirky Stockbridge institution offering affordable Mexican favourites in a stripped-back setting.
Follow the colourful mosaic signs – and your nose – to sniff out the Blue Parrot Cantina. Tucked away down a flight of stairs in Stockbridge, its elusive nature is also reflected in the fact that you can only sample its fine Mexican wares two nights a week. It's worth making the booking. With attentive staff more than happy to guide you towards the best on the menu – and tell you all about what they do the other five days a week – diners are made to feel right at home. If home was actually Mexico, as the spit-and-sawdust cantina feel to Blue Cantina is as authentic as it comes. The chicken and cashew enchilada is a delight. Its mole poblano sauce, a blend of chillis, raisins, almonds, cocoa and cloves, takes a standard dish to another level, while the picadillo beef is both spicy and tender. Be sure to leave room for dessert: the excellent pecan pie with cream will leave such an impression it won't be long until you return.
- High point: Sauces to die for
- Low point: Only open two days a week
- Notable dish: Chicken and cashew enchilada
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: World music.
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 28
- Open since: 1993
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle