The Ship on the Shore
- Telephone 0131 555 0409
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–11pm
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm.
- Average price £22 (lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.theshipontheshore.co.uk
Atmospheric Shore-front favourite, featuring fish in all its forms.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Tempting though the outside picnic tables are (and you’ll have to fight for them on a sunny evening), the interior of this long-standing favourite shouldn’t be missed. The dark wood-panelled interior, brightened with wall-lining nautical charts and ephemera, unequivocally says ‘seafood’. This all-day eatery places a heavy emphasis on shellfish and hearty eating, be it kedgeree in the morning or a selection of grilled and pan-fried fish and shellfish throughout the day. Crustaceans, served both hot and cold, as starters or lavish platters, have their own menu, but juicy fish deftly batter-fried, and abundant mussels, in balance with their wine bath, hold their own (at a significantly lower price). Puddings complete the indulgence – cheesecake and crème brûlée hold the mainstay position, while a trio of desserts are perfect for two diners or the indecisive. [not recently visited]
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 1988
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 30
- House wine: £19 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Six of the Best1 Jun 2010
Porto & Fi 47 Newhaven Mainstreet, 0131 551 1900 In the mornings and mid-afternoon, this Newhaven eatery is a bustling café, serving a range of breakfast options, coffees and cakes to tourists and regulars attracted by the light, airy space…