The Ship on the Shore
- Telephone 0131 555 0409
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–11pm
- Food served Mon–Sun 9–11.30am (breakfast), noon–10pm.
- Average price £22 (lunch); £33 (evening meal)
- Website www.theshipontheshore.co.uk
Atmospheric Shore-front favourite, featuring fish in all its forms.
With its dark wood interior decorated with old maps and other vintage nautical paraphernalia, this well-established restaurant has the feel of an historic ship's dining room. It is unashamedly expensive – chalkboards list the champagne menu and offer a seafood platter and fizz combo for those with a few hundred pounds to spend. Food is served all day, from kippers or crab with scrambled eggs at breakfast, to fish pie at lunch, through to dinners of grilled fish or paella. The cooking throughout is simple and substantial and there’s a separate shellfish menu boasting selections of fresh or smoked produce. The extensive wine list is as much a part of the deal here as the food, with many sold by the glass and carafe. Outside tables are perfect for enjoying the fabled sunshine on Leith, but get in there quick – they're always in high demand.
- High point: Prime shore-side location
- Low point: Cooking doesn't always justify the price
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 1920s
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 15
- Open since: 1988
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 30
- House wine: £20 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Six of the Best1 Jun 2010
Porto & Fi 47 Newhaven Mainstreet, 0131 551 1900 In the mornings and mid-afternoon, this Newhaven eatery is a bustling café, serving a range of breakfast options, coffees and cakes to tourists and regulars attracted by the light, airy space…