- Telephone 0131 225 5979
- Seasonal times Mid–July/Aug noon–10pm every day; no bookings accepted in August.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 5.30–9.45pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–9.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–7pm.
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95 (2 courses) or £13.95 (3 courses)
- Website www.mussel-inn.com
Straightforward seafood from a busy but crowd-pleasing city-centre eatery.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This popular Rose Street restaurant has been packing in and feeding hungry punters since 1998. Popular with office workers, shoppers and especially tourists, its menu features a range of straightforward seafood options, such as scallops, sea bass, oysters, prawns, shellfish pasta and surf and turf, as well as changing daily specials. But the stars of the show here are the eponymous mussels, sourced from Shetland and the west coast. Grab them steamed or grilled by the kilo or half kilo with a variety of sauces, from traditional white wine, shallots and cream, to more exotic Moroccan chilli, garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin. The Mussel Inn has hit onto a winning formula, as is evidenced by the crowds of finger-licking diners, so this isn’t the place to come for a slow or quiet meal. But with good value set lunch and pre-theatre menus, plenty of outdoor seats in the summer months, and everything else you’d expect from an efficient, crowd-pleasing, city-centre eatery, the Mussel Inn shows no sign of slowing down or changing what it does anytime soon.
- High point: Eat the mussels: the clue is in the name
- Low point: Not the place for a leisurely treat
- Notable dish: Mussels steamed in white wine, shallots, garlic and cream
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: 80s pop
- Capacity: 52 inside + up to 48 outside (April - October)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15.90 per bottle