- Telephone 0131 225 5979
- Seasonal times Mid–July/Aug noon–10pm every day; no bookings accepted in August.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 5.30–9.45pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–9.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–7pm.
- Pre-theatre price £10.95 (2 courses) or £13.95 (3 courses)
- Website www.mussel-inn.com
Casual city centre place to get a good pot of mussels simply cooked and sustainably sourced.
With a menu reminiscent of Belgian moules-frites places, this bustling city centre restaurant is all about simple tasty food. Two shellfish farmers and a chef set it up in 1998 with the ambition of bringing Scottish seafood back to local tables. The precise location from where the mussels are picked is chalked up on the daily specials board highlighting the restaurant's direct relationship with producers. Black pots of sweet mussels scented with garlic or spices are the star attraction but there are plenty of other choices, such as rich mineral-flavoured oysters, perfectly cooked scallops or crab paired with warming aromatics. Although the menu is predominantly shellfish, with some fish for good measure, there are a couple of meat dishes, too. Puddings are homemade such as a smooth, subtly flavoured pear parfait or a moist sticky date pud. Brightly lit, Mussel Inn has a utilitarian feel softened by large picture boards with verses and fishing images on the walls. It’s very popular with tourists and does a good express lunch and pre-theatre deal.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: pop rock
- Capacity: 52 (48 Apr–Oct)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle