Fishers in Leith
- Telephone 0131 554 5666
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Seasonal times Open until 10.30pm during the festival.
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6pm
- Pre-theatre price £15 set two-course lunch deal, Mon–Fri noon–6pm
- Website www.fishersbistros.co.uk
One of Leith's survivors, its longevity based on a rock-solid reputation for showcasing Scottish fish.
Fisher’s in Leith has a formidable reputation for cooking consistently good fish and seafood sourced in Scotland. It’s one of those places known as ‘an Edinburgh institution’ and is ever popular with tourists while still attracting a loyal local clientele. Opened in 1991, this is the original Fisher’s restaurant and it has a homelier atmosphere than its larger city centre sister, as well as a different menu. What’s on offer is shaped by the best, freshest produce available on the day, so you may find a delicate whole grey sole or a meaty seabass paired with Eyemouth crab. Starters can range from a light squid salad to a substantial smoked haddock risotto. The cooking is unfussy, letting the flavours of the main ingredients shine. It’s not all fish – steaks are always available on the Fishers favourites menu and there’s a meat choice on the à la carte. For vegetarians, there’s a separate menu but you need to request it. Housed in a 17th-century watchtower on the Leith waterfront, this informal restaurant is also a fine location for summer outdoor dining.
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz and soul
- Capacity: 50 (24 outside)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1991
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £17.25 per bottle