Fishers in Leith
- Telephone 0131 554 5666
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Seasonal times Open until 10.30pm during the festival.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6pm
- Pre-theatre price £15 set two-course lunch deal, Mon–Fri noon–6pm
- Website www.fishersrestaurants.co.uk/fishers-leith/
A Leith stalwart, its longevity based on a rock-solid reputation for showcasing excellent Scottish fish.
When you’ve been in business for the best part of 30 years and have consistently won awards and gathered a horde of loyal followers, there’s little reason to alter the winning formula. And that’s far from a criticism: Fishers in Leith has made its name by being one of Edinburgh’s most dependable sources of Scottish fish and seafood. It doesn’t shout about it either, but quietly sits in its 17th-century watchtower on a peaceful corner of the Shore. All this serves to give Fishers a quiet confidence that shines through in the quality of the food. To distinguish it from the neighbouring Shore bar (also part of the Fishers group), the fish on offer here is at the slightly more sophisticated end of the spectrum – think seabass with Szechuan aubergines, or halibut with lobster bisque, rather than hearty fish and chips. That said, on the Fishers favourites side of the menu you’ll still find reassuring classics like mussels, fishcakes and fish soup. For a real blowout, you could plump for a whole lobster and chips, or a hot or cold seafood platter. With a separate bar area plus a few pavement tables for warm summer days, this is informal dining with a large measure of class.
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Quiet tunes
- Capacity: 50 (24 outside)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1991
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £14 per bottle