- Telephone 0141 552 7737
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–late; Sun 1pm–late
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun 1pm–9pm
- Average price £8.50 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.panchovillas.co.uk
Cantina-style eatery in Merchant City with good tacos and lots of fun for parties.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Pancho Villa’s deserves recognition as a member of the early wave of Merchant City food and drink establishments having arrived nearly two decades ago. It is still going strong despite the fact that its generous two-storey premises would no doubt appeal to chains or breweries eyeing up the hospitality-focused destination. That said, the once cheerful-looking interior with its bright murals (including a large homage to Frida Kahlo) and wooden cantina-style tables and chairs, is starting to show it’s age a bit. The no-fuss cantina feel permeates other aspects too – food arrives swiftly, portions are large, and there is a slight lack of subtlety in some of the dishes – the house special chipotle chicken is big on creamy, garlicky sauce but rather too light on the delicate chipotle flavour. However, there are some good flourishes to be found – the tender lamb barbacoa tacos, for instance, just melt in the mouth. An ideal spot for large groups and celebrations with tapas deals, student discounts and party extras.
- High point: Swift service and big portions
- Low point: Seems hurried
- Notable dish: Lamb barbacoa tacos
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 160
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1997
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle