Khublai Khan Mongolian Barbecue Restaurant
- Telephone 0141 552 5646
- Opening times Sun–Thu 5–11pm; Fri & Sat noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu 5–11pm, Fri–Sat noon–midnight, Sun 2–11pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.30pm (only available in December Sun–Thu)
- Average price £5.95 (set lunch); (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.khublaikhan.co.uk
Inspired by the cooking techniques of 13th-century Mongolian warriors, this eatery offers diners all-you-can-eat barbecue in the bustling Merchant City.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
You wouldn’t think that paying to essentially make your own meal would be a particularly enticing night out, but eating at Khublai Khan’s is an undeniably fun and interactive experience. Inspired by the rulers of Mongolia who cooked meat, vegetables, oils and spices over a fire on their shields, diners select their own rice, noodles and vegetables before topping it all off with fish or meat, including chicken and, more exotically, kangaroo. Hand the bowl to the chef to cook the stir-fry on a huge hotplate, then repeat until full. A chart on the wall helpfully offers suggestions of combinations of sauce and spices, from spicy to mild. Starters are equally quirky, including wild boar dumplings served with sweet and sour sauce, and kangaroo haggis. The desserts seem a bit pedestrian by comparison – pretty sure the Mongolians didn’t have Mars Bar cheesecake or chocolate and hazelnut torte. If you are feeling brave, wash it all down with a cup of traditional green tea.
- High point: As much Mongolian cuisine as you can eat
- Low point: Meat at the food prep area can look a bit tired
- Notable dish: Wild boar dumplings
- Delivery: Between £2 and £3
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Post-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop/rock
- Capacity: 125
- Largest group: 125
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle