Khublai Khan Mongolian Barbecue Restaurant
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 552 5646
- Opening times Sun–Thu 5–11pm; Fri & Sat noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu 5–11pm, Fri/Sat noon–midnight, Sun 2–11pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.30pm (three courses)
- Average price £22.95 (only open for lunch on a Sunday); £22.95 (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.95
- Website www.khublaikhan.co.uk
A fun atmosphere prevails at this bizarre do-it-yourself all-you-can-eat Mongolian-themed restaurant, which is full of exotic meats and big parties.
At Khublai Khan’s it’s down to you to put your dinner together. Fill a silver bowl with ingredients – meat, vegetables, sauces, spices, rice and noodles – then hand it to a chatty chef who throws it all on the grill. What you get back is less a barbecue more a stir-fry. Fill your bowl as many times as you like, and top and tail your Mongolian feast with a starter and dessert, for a set price. The range of meat on offer is extensive, exotic and unique – crocodile, wild boar, kangaroo, pheasant and a range of fish, laid out in a bizarre raw meat buffet. The restaurant recommends sticking to its suggested sauce combinations, such as sweet and sour or the lesser-known Bobby’s bum buster (yes, really). Only freestyle if you know what you’re doing, otherwise you may end up with a bowl of unidentifiable meat (‘is this zebra or rabbit I’m eating?’) and an unpalatable sauce. A mural of Mongolians charging into battle feels appropriate since the place tends to attract small armies of hen dos, stag parties and office night outs.
- Delivery: Between £2 and £3
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Post-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Laid-back tunes during the week, with more upbeat music at the weekends - including the occasional Mongolian throat-singing track
- Capacity: 125
- Largest group: 125
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle