- Telephone 0141 572 0899
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sun 5–8.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5–6.15pm
- Average price £19 (set lunch); £32 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £19
- Website www.gamba.co.uk
A subtly refined environment in the business district near Blythswood Square, serving fish and seafood done in all manner of wonderful ways.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With a menu for people with a passion for poisson coupled with classic, tasteful stylings, Gamba has an air of perfectionism, without a whiff of being uptight. The only smell, in fact, is of fresh, delicious fish, of all shapes, sizes and species. The extensive menu shows that most are landed on Scottish shores, such as pan-fried Isle of Gigha halibut or roast Shetland cod with mussels and fennel. A warming fish soup with Portland crabmeat and prawn dumplings features Asian twangs of ginger and coriander, while a tartare of sea bass has a hodgepodge of influences – wrapped in a cool Bloody Mary sorbet it’s oddly delicious, though the fish is somewhat muted by the kick of goat’s cheese. There are the classics, too, such as succulent lobster perfectly balanced with a rich thermidor sauce, or a lighter option of king scallops and monkfish steamed in paper with soy and ginger. With a top rating from the Sustainable Restaurant Association, a tight team of smart serving staff and finally desserts to knock your Christian Louboutins off, it’s no wonder Gamba regularly wins accolade and applause, including two AA rosettes.
- High point: Excellent ingredients and beautiful bar
- Low point: No wheelchair access or disabled toilets
- Notable dish: Half Scottish lobster thermidor with hand-cut chips
Boasting 2 AA Rosettes, Gamba serves fresh, sustainable seafood in the heart of Glasgow's city centre. Joining the seafood options on the menu are fresh meat and vegetarian dishes, cheese boards, and indulgent desserts. With a nautical theme, the bright interior features a marine mural on one wall.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: A lovely chilled Ibiza mix
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £21 per bottle
Reviews & features
Side Dishes (13 March 2008)13 Mar 2008
Gamba restaurant in Glasgow is celebrating its 10th birthday with a series of special meals, kicking off with an Oriental night on Friday 14 March. Tickets cost £59.95 for four courses with wines; book on 0141 572 0899. Two of leith’s most venerable…