The Apartment Bistro
- Telephone 0131 228 6456
- Seasonal times Open until 10.30pm during festival period
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £15 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.apartmentrestaurant.com
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Just up the rise from the hodgepodge Gothic of Barclay Church, the Apartment's style might best be described as abbatoir chic, with solid pale chairs, polished copper fixtures and blood-red walls through which telegenic young staff glide smoothly between spotlit tables. The only thing missing is a Rothko print. Mercifully, they've revised the slightly manic 'personality' wine list of yore, which clears the way for a smart cellar selection to shine through. Alongside a rich palette of New World reds a crisp house fizz is well worth a punt. The food menu, for its part, foregrounds a range of skewers including a lovely veggie sweet potato and citrus halloumi option. Oven-warmed bread and soft, salty olives on a dark wood block make for a strong opener, and the sweet venison haunch (part of the reasonable set menu deal) is satisfyingly flavoursome. It’s a solid venue for a midweek dinner with your thirtysomething friends.
- High point: Despite the aesthetic, vegetarians will find much to delight them
- Low point: The squid salsa is more of an apologetic shuffle
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £15.90 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 21 reviews of The Apartment Bistro./5 from RSS feed of these comments