The Apartment Bistro
- Telephone 0131 228 6456
- Seasonal times Festival: open until 10.30pm
- Food served Mon– Wed 5–10pm; Thu–Sun noon-10pm
- Pre-theatre times 5–6:45pm
- Pre-theatre price £12 (2 course); £15 (3 course)
- Website www.apartmentrestaurant.com
Dependable bistro with a solid range of set menu and lunch options and an interesting wine list.
A big red wall dominates the main dining room at The Apartment and bears more than a passing resemblance to a piece of abstract art. The creative theme continues throughout this airy and stylish bistro which has occupied this location between Tollcross and Bruntsfield since 1999. Under new ownership, Karen and Ruori Stewart have retained some of the popular elements from the old menu such as the ‘chunky healthy skewers’, and introduced briefer à la carte and all-day set menus. Regular headliners like steak and fries sit alongside meat and fish specials. A juicy haunch of locally sourced venison is well-cooked and generously portioned, served with kale, walnuts and a beetroot gravy. The monkfish tail, crème-fraîche salad and shellfish bisque is similarly well-treated, but the moist fish lacks zing. The drinks list is thoughtful and includes regular wine specials which trial potential newbies alongside the well-established herd. Friendly staff, proximity to the King’s Theatre and a good value pre-theatre menu all ensure The Apartment’s continued reputation as a bit of a player.
- Private dining: 22 (downstairs)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mellow background music
- Capacity: 110
- Largest group: 40 (upstairs)
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £16.40 per bottle
Events at this venue
Great Grog Wine Dinner
Three fixed courses, coffee and a selection of wines, hosted by Great Grog.
Thu 10 May
£35 / 0131 228 6456
- 19:00 – 10:00