Take Three: Striding the Glasgow/Edinburgh divide
- The List
- 3 July 2008
77b George Street, New Town, Edinburgh, www.cafeandaluz.com
Glasgow-based restaurant chain Di Maggio’s opened their first Spanish style Café Andaluz off Byres Road in 2003. A city centre venue followed in 2005, with their first foray through to Edinburgh due to open in the former Aitken & Niven shop on George Street later this month.
157 Hope Street, City Centre, Glasgow, 0141 572 1405, www.mussel-inn.com
Edinburgh’s Rose Street was the original home of this restaurant opened by a group of West Coast shellfish farmers; a few years later they added a second venue in the centre of Glasgow where they’ve become well established as one of the city’s most reliable and affordable seafood stops.
26 Candleriggs, Merchant City, Glasgow, 0141 552 5646, www.khublaikhan.co.uk
It has been ten years since brothers Alasdair and Andrew McRobbie expanded their Mongolian empire from Leith to the Merchant City, proving the durability of their entertaining dining concept based around selecting various meats, vegetables and sauces then seeing them cooked on large open hot plates.