John O’Groats mill set to be fully renovated
The Prince's Regeneration Trust and NIH hope to restore and re-open the 18th century mill within three years
So far, they have secured a £230,000 building regeneration grant from Historic Scotland. Chief Executive of the North Highland Initiative, Tom Campbell, explains: ‘We hope people can come and see the restored mill working, and enjoy their built cultural heritage. We hope to grind meal that can then be used to make the scones and cakes sold in an onsite café, and that we can revitalise some traditional rural skills.’
Originally built in 1750, it stopped production in 2001. It’s the last mill in Caithness to retain its working machinery, and the hope is that the mill could be re-opened to the public within three years.