Reasons why Edinburgh is resplendent (and Glasgow is radge)

comments (17)
Reasons why Edinburgh is resplendent (and Glasgow is radge)

So, Edinburgh's better than Glasgow, right? Better arts venues, better eating & drinking, better architecture, more civilised residents. Why would you ever want to get on the train to Queen Street?

We want to hear your reasons why Edinburgh is miles ahead of its bigger neighbour. Remember, Glasgow will have its own arguments for why it's better than Edinburgh, so don't pull any punches. The gloves are off.

Why do you love Edinburgh? Add your reasons to the comment thread below. The best ones will be featured in the Glasgow vs Edinburgh issue of The List, coming out on 31 March. The very best reason will win a whole heap of free Edinburgh good stuff, including tickets to The Cherry Orchard at the Royal Lyceum, dinner for two at Edinburgh's much loved L'escargot Bleu or L'escargot Blanc and £20 worth of gift vouchers for institution The Elephant House.

Get commenting.

Comments

1. Benji17 Mar 2010, 11:36am Report

You can actually wait for a taxi past 1am in Edinburgh without having to avoid glass bottles and other missiles whistling past your head at a hundred miles an hour (yes I'm looking at you Central Station).

2. Vida17 Mar 2010, 11:41am Report

Glasgow does indeed have some great clubs bars restaurants etc, but there isn't any competition with Edinburgh when it comes to stunning views, great grub, fine dining, grand nights oot and the general cultural diversity attracted to the east year in and year out. Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities on this Earth, the jewel in Scotland's crown. Oh... and we get less rain.

3. Lizzie D17 Mar 2010, 12:15pm Report

Go Edinburgh!

It is a beautiful city to live in. We have a castle, the shore, the gardens (both Botanics and Princes St), Arthur's Seat, & history EVERYWHERE (the vaults, the cobbles, the palace, flodden wall!).

It's packed full of amazing theatres and galleries, and now we have good big venues too (thanks Picture House) as well our small and quirky ones.

We have the fringe every year! & even though it is full of tourists who do their best to get in our way, the city is full of music and comedy and street performers and it is perfectly acceptable to be hungover 6 days a week in August.

Why swap all this for the murder capital of Europe? (Helllloooo Weeg).

4. Eliza Do Little17 Mar 2010, 12:19pm Report

Edinburgh is like the start of a wedding.
Glasgow is like the end of a wedding.

Enough said.

5. Parish17 Mar 2010, 12:21pm Report

Glasgow is a city state, Edinburgh is an international cultural capital. The former has much in common with Liverpool in that it's citizens tend to think it's the best place in the world and as such they and their kind are finest examples of humanity. Having lived there for five years I couldn't agree more and left them to it. Edinburgh was never so revolting and, on a clear day, is just way more pretty.

6. Maria P17 Mar 2010, 12:24pm Report

I once was tricked into getting a train to Glasgow from Dunblane instead of Edinburgh by the lovely conductor and digital display on the front of the train. Imagine my shock when I pulled into Queen Street at 12am on a Wednesday night... You don't have to fear for your life at midnight in Edinburgh!

7. Anna S17 Mar 2010, 12:42pm Report

I think both have loads to offer and i don't see the point of this small-minded exercise. We have been slagging each other off for centuries - I would like to see the List, in the unique position of spanning both, promoting a new era of mutual appreciation between these two great cities.

8. Sorcha Fierce17 Mar 2010, 5:12pm Report

I'm interested that, as ever when this topic comes up, the comments on the Glasgow thread are a lot more fair-minded, and frankly, there's a bit less class-based snobbery than there is over here. I'm sure a bit of healthy inter-city rivalry is a great thing, but this argument tends all too often to denigrate into ugly upper middle-class sneering about working class people, and looks to be going that way again.

Well done Anna S for being the lone voice of reason.

9. Russian Passion17 Mar 2010, 6:40pm Report

Edinburgh, don't sleep! wake up! and pop in to the Russian Passion cafe in Canonmills, we would love to meet and feed real Scottish folks in there. Drop sandwiches, crisps and frozen soups, we offer you much better food. Be brave!!! PS who cares about silly settlement argument...btw I came from Moscow 5 years ago. I love Scotland )))

10. Stonesthrower17 Mar 2010, 11:17pm Report

Can Sorcha Fierce please offer us all examples of these so called "fair-minded" comments coming from Glaswegians?

I am an Edinburger who has lived in Glasgow for four years so feel qualified to comment on both. I agree to an extent that this topic is fairly unconstructive, but also strongly agree with Parish's views on how Glaswegians view themselves. For some reason they feel compelled to constantly big themselves up about almost anything. Most of all, for some reason (a one drunken perhaps?) they think that they are the friendliest people on this planet. Now I've lived in 3 continents now and I can tell you that just because you get pissed up, chat inane rubbish and throw in the word "big man", it doesn't make you friendly.

Glasgow has some good scenes, most probably better bars, clubs and shopping. But when you look at the bigger picture and if you are striving for a better quality of life then Edinburgh is the place to be if you want to live in Scotland. The internet is the best place for shopping anyway.

Edinburgh- Fur coat and nae knickers.

Glasgow- Fur knickers and sh*t houses.

"there's a bit less class-based snobbery than there is over here"

Really? So you're not all inverted snobs and working class heroes?

11. meeps18 Mar 2010, 12:10am Report

Yes the old Edinburgh urban architecture with exception of the new parliament is what makes and feeds the city.

As for style it Barbour and tweed on the east versus a wee bit oh Italiany arty street.

What we need is a mix of both

12. Stonesthrower18 Mar 2010, 12:44am Report

"As for the the last 40 years of planning and development including the waterfront its slumdog ville."

And what sets new developments in Glasgow apart from the new developments in Edinburgh? None are particularly inspiring in my book. I think Scotland should be looking to cities like Barcelona and Valencia for a way to move our buildings into the 21st century.

"Glasgow has many great sides especially its friendly people not so much Edinburgh."

Please please please, tell me what it is that makes Glasgow people so friendly. What do they do or say that makes them so warm and jovial. I know quite a few foriegners and none of them have noticed this mystical friendliness which is apparently on offer in Glasgow! Seriously,,,I am laughing.

13. Tina M18 Mar 2010, 5:01pm Report

I currently live in Glasgow but have lived in Edinburgh for 12 years.
My favourite things are:
Leith (warts and all), The Citrus Club, Evol at the Liquid rooms, the Cameo, Filmhouse, the Fringe, Boda, Sofi’s, and Victoria, Urban Angel, the bus service, North Edinburgh Arts Centre, City Cafe, cobbled streets, the Pond, the Castle, Portobello beach, the people and I also love the fact that nothing is too far away in Edinburgh, everything is 20mins away!

14. afrikat18 Mar 2010, 6:32pm Report

Having travelled all over the world there is no place I would rather live than Edinburgh. There are few problems that cannot be overcome by a brisk walk up Arthur's Seat and taking in the views (whilst trying not to be blown off!) There can be few cities where you can be in a great little bar one second, at the top of an extinct volcano the next.

Edinburgh also has the most beautiful skyline I have ever seen and apart from being a fun, cosmopolitan, cultural city, is also unbelievably picturesque with the castle, the wynds, the cobbled streets, the closes and the gardens.

The other things I love about Edinburgh are: The Fringe (my favourite time of year in Edinburgh, I love the shows, the drinking, the street acts and even the tourists. Unless I am trying to get somewhere...) the German Market and Ice Rink at Christmas, the Royal Mile, the museums, the theatres, the Science Festival, the food, the pubs..and most of all, because I live here, Leith.

From the first time I arrived in Edinburgh 11 years ago I felt such a love for the city I knew it was where I needed to be - having never felt that way about anywhere else on earth in my mind that makes Edinburgh the best place in the world, not just better than Glasgow :-)

15. Turncoat23 Mar 2010, 4:36pm Report

I was firmly and vocally in the Glasgow camp until 3 days ago when my boyfriend proposed to me against Edinburgh's beautiful skyline. Now I'm wandering around dreaming of Georgian townhouses and castles and couldn't give a toss about the edgy cultural scene

16. kimire23 Mar 2010, 10:40pm Report

Being an Edinburgher by birth and a Glaswegian by residence, I can’t stand it when people try to involve me in the pointless conflict between them. Choosing between the two is like being asked to decide which of my kidneys I prefer. So I’m sneakily subverting this mischief from The List by posting in both this thread and the pro-Glasgow one: hah, take that, inter-city warmongers!

The fact is that each of these grand old cities needs the other, much as their inhabitants might hate to admit it. As the US has Chicago and New York, and France has Toulouse and Paris, so Scotland has Glasgow and Edinburgh: the industrial, sleeves-rolled-up no-nonsense city and the more refined, cultured and perhaps ever so slightly smug metropolis.

Saying that Edinburgh is beautiful is as hackneyed and predictable as announcing that water is wet and politicians are sometimes a bit shifty, and yet there’s just no escaping the fact: our capital city is stunning. It wears its appeal lightly, like an elegant elderly aunty who is perfectly well aware of her lingering good looks but feels no need to shout about them. But to dawdle dreamily across Waverley Bridge on a clear winter’s day is surely to glimpse one of the most inspirational and uplifting skylines that this world possesses.

Edinburgh has more to offer than simple attractiveness: this doughty lady has substance as well as style. The very best way to experience the city is to arrive with no agenda and simply wander down the High Street, diving down whichever of the mysterious and ancient closes takes your fancy and allowing yourself to get thoroughly distracted by whatever cafe, museum or general oddity you find lurking there. It’s a meandering, disorderly place that reeks of history, glamour and intrigue, and I fall in love with it again each and every time I return. Sometimes when I’m walking around the Old Town, I find myself grinning like an idiot at the sheer magnificence of my city. Because it is still my city: despite my sixteen years in the West, Edinburgh still feels like home.

17. Dylan Brown23 May 2015, 2:41pm Report

This is extremely disrespectful as I myself am a Glaswegian, yes glasgow may have some bad areas however that's what makes it a real city we have our bad parts and good parts however a higher percentage of glasgows population are welcoming and friendly to whom ever comes to visit, we also offer a large array of different delicious restaurants, and you are bound to have a great time in glasgow seen as our shopping is second to London (as said on location location location) you also have access to a large amount of entertaining/ fun places to visit such as; escape at braehead, kelvin grove art museum, kelvin grove park, riverside museum, and many many more, also don't forget that one of the biggest hospital campuses in the whole of Europe was openend in the south of glasgow this year, so before you make judgement about a city you most probably haven't even been to remember this Edinburgh may have a castle but Glasgow has genuinely funny, happy, kind, caring, welcoming people which in my opinion is far far better than a prehistoric castle.

RSS feed of these comments