- Telephone 0131 629 3037
- Bar open Mon/Tue 10am–9pm; Wed/Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am; Sun 11am–9pm.
- Food served Mon/Tue 10am–9pm; Wed–Sat 10am–10pm; Sun 11am–8pm.
- Average price £9 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.theskylarkportobello.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Occupying a prime double shop front on Portobello's main drag, Skylark is just what the neighbourhood has been crying out for, since evening eating options are somewhat thin on the ground. A daytime café with toys, books, food and events for kids (check out the weekly singalong session with Mrs Mash) and coffee and pastries for the grown-ups, by evening it morphs into a sophisticated bar-bistro with excellent home cooking and a well-stocked bar. Breakfast rolls and granola bowls move on to lunchtime sandwiches, homemade quiche and soups. Dinner really allows the tiny open kitchen to shine, with the likes of confit duck leg, slow-cooked chicken and wild mushroom and chestnut cottage pie on the regularly changing menu, as well as some interesting daily specials. Desserts are hearty and comforting, like a rich, dark chocolate mousse or a sublime bread and butter pudding. A warm, community-led venue with film nights, open-mic sessions and a weekly chess club, Skylark's all-things-to-all-people approach is a welcome addition to the area.
- High point: Exactly what a neighbourhood bistro should be
- Low point: Slightly awkward shift from daytime café to evening candlelit bistro
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled tunes
- Capacity: 30–40
- Largest group: 30
- House wine: £12.50 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Reviews & features
The Skylark's Nina Taris recommends some festive winter warmers16 Nov 2012
Recipes for a sparkling Elderflower spritzer and whisky-heavy Athol Brose included
Elderflower spritzer 80ml elderflower cordial Champagne (or sparkling wine) Perrier Ice ‘Pour the cordial with a couple of ice cubes into a glass. Add Champagne (or sparkling wine) and top up with ice cold Perrier. Et voila!’ Athol Brose A…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Skylark./5 from RSS feed of these comments