Michael Neave Kitchen & Whisky Bar
- Telephone 0131 226 4747
- Bar open Tue–Sat noon–3.30pm, 5.30pm–midnight. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Food served Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm. Sat noon–3.30pm, 5.30–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price £11.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website michaelneave.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
As a young chef you could beaver away in a crowded kitchen being bossed around by someone else, hoping you’ll make it big one day. Or you could just boldly open your own restaurant and strike out alone in the heart of tourist Edinburgh. Which is what charmingly precocious Michael Neave did in 2012 when he opened his eponymous restaurant just off the Royal Mile. He’s a bold cook too: smoked salmon mousse comes with beetroot coulis, served like an elegant toasted club sandwich, and Perthshire roe deer arrives laced with carrot and lavender puree with an Auchentoshan whisky sauce. There is a whisky bar upstairs complete with some rare single malt expressions, and the mixologist also mixes a decent cocktail – Islay’s smooth Botanist gin is the star when infused with lemon and blackberry liqueur. Neave and his restaurant may not be quite as polished as the cocktails yet, but this rough diamond is an increasingly bright light in the Old Town, and he’s doing it on his own terms.
- High point: The chance to savour the cooking of a young chef on the way up.
- Low point: Neave's restaurant is a diamond in need of a little bit more polishing.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Relaxed easy listening
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2012
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
21-year-old Michael Neave takes an impressively confident approach to opening his first restaurant29 Jul 2012
Young chef opens Edinburgh restaurant
Michael Neave took a different approach when he launched his first restaurant six weeks ago. There was no loud, proud social media campaign, no advertising and no worrying about not being full from day one. Instead he’s relying on word of mouth to…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Michael Neave Kitchen & Whisky Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments