Nanyang Malaysian Cuisine
- Telephone 0131 629 1797
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Sun 5–11pm.
- Average price £9.45 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.nanyangrestaurant.com
Jump to comments (5)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Nanyang is run by May Lin and Chee Wei Pang, an upbeat couple with the express intention of bringing Malaysia’s diverse cuisine to an international market. An intention which, coupled with a white-box premises among the great glass towers of the Quartermile, might conjure the alarming impression of an airport-lobby restaurant, serving food that’s inoffensive at best. It’s a relief then to find that May Lin’s cooking is assured and delicious, and Chee Wei’s service is homely and relaxed. The menu shows off all the Malaysian favourites: sambal, rendang, laksa and a good selection of hawker street-market food. From this, the famous Char Kway Teow is a smoky jumble of wok-charred noodles, beansprouts and juicy prawns, while a more genteel Nyonya dish of Capitan chicken is a sophisticated balancing act; sweet with coconut, sour with tamarind. A new menu is planned, shifting emphasis away from the Pangs’ Chinese roots to include a broader scope of the myriad influences of the Malaysian kitchen. If it’s executed to the same standard, it will only give the place more appeal.
- High point: Delicious Malaysian food in sleek, contemporary surroundings
- Low point: It currently feels a little lost in the Quartermile development
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0
- Delivery: £1-£1.50/EH1-4; EH9-10
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eastern pop music
- Capacity: 70 on ground floor, with an additional 40 on first floor
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2012
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 3 reviews of Nanyang Malaysian Cuisine./5 from RSS feed of these comments