Cup Tea Lounge
- Telephone 0141 353 2959
- Opening times Mon–Sat 9am–6pm; Sun noon–6pm
- Food served Mon 9am–6pm; Tue–Thu 9am–9pm; Fri/Sat 9am–midnight; Sun 11am–7pm.
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £15.90 (set evening meal)
- Website www.cupglasgow.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
This stylish off-shoot of the Byres Road tea room makes great play of its ethical and waste-reduction efforts, aiming to combine elegant snacking and drinking with a clearer conscience. Set in a lovely Victorian building, they've kept the décor sympathetic, with portraits of Queen Victoria and original wall tiles. There's a limited food menu (by day, soups, baked potatoes, breakfast/brunch, afternoon tea, sandwiches and paninis; by evening, mixed platters and desserts), but an extensive choice of drinks, with, of course, a detailed tea menu, covering unusual delights such as the fragile silver needle and aromatic royal oolong, each carefully brewed. There are also artisan coffees, hot chocolates, cocktails and even soft drinks. And, of course, cupcakes with temptingly described topping varieties or a sampler to try several. Best for a relaxed daytime chat or a lively evening that's an alternative to the pub, its tea and trappings will impress.
- High point: Indulgent atmosphere
- Low point: Can be pricey
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- Private dining: 32 (semi-private)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 72
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2012
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
The Cup Tea Lounge: new Renfield Street branch missing the cherry on the cake22 Jun 2012
Second Cup Tea Lounge venue is opulent but food could be better
Entering the Cup Tea Lounge is magnificent. Right in the heart of city-centre Glasgow, it is a glorious, Category B-listed, Victorian Gothic building designed by Alfred Waterhouse of Natural History Museum fame. Once a branch of the Prudential, the…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Cup Tea Lounge./5 from RSS feed of these comments