- Telephone 0131 221 1222
- Bar open Tue–Sat noon–1am
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2pm, 5.30–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–6.30pm
- Average price £14 (set lunch); £26 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14
- Website www.timberyard.co
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Formerly of the well-regarded Atrium, the Radford family has converted a cavernous old timber yard into a warm, beautifully designed space, the industrial edges softened by clever use of wood, natural fabrics and light. A short, simply written menu based on carefully sourced local ingredients is divided into four sections – bite, small, large and sweet – the first being tiny teasers of the delights to follow. Chef Ben Radford displays both accomplished cooking skills and a well-trained palate: hazelnuts make a perfect pairing with raw venison, while the sweet notes of apple and earthy Jerusalem artichoke enliven some faultlessly cooked hand-dived scallops. A moist pheasant breast is enhanced with thyme, and an oak-smoked steak is a novel, robustly flavoured dish. Attention is paid to the details, too, in the form of complimentary filtered tap water, quality bread and delicious whipped butter. The innovative cocktail list features some home-made cordials, which can be enjoyed in the indoor or outside bar areas. This is the place to come for a unique dining experience, at once sophisticated, contemporary and relaxed.
- High point: Great food in a stunning venue
- Low point: Too few good days to make use of the outside bar
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 31
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled indie
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 14
- Open since: 2012
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Andrew and Lisa Radford's new venture Timberyard showcases their singular vision18 Sep 2012
Discovered by Andrew and Lisa Radford after they’d drawn breath from the closure of Atrium and Blue in early 2011, the old Lawson’s timber store near the art college has been coaxed from dusty obscurity in the past few months. An intriguing warehouse…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Timberyard./5 from RSS feed of these comments