Den Bar & Restaurant
- Telephone 0141 942 7272
- Bar open Sat–Thu noon-midnight; Fri noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon-9pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website www.den-bearsden.com
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Tucking into a Stornoway black pudding and chorizo crostini in a suburban bar is a rare treat and, like the Den, worth savouring. Successfully bringing West End chic to the city’s outskirts, it stands out with a stylish yet natural interior and unusually enticing menu. The bar has original brickwork and fittings allied to subtly classy touches like wine crate panels that line the walls – highlighting their focus on an outstanding wine selection. A cosy separate dining area offers a space for more formal eating. The menu is packed with upmarket and traditional selections delivered to a high standard with notably excellent presentation. The pie of the day has soft buttery pastry while the venison burger uses locally sourced meat, evidenced by the rich colour and flavour. Daily specials showcase the care put into providing quality, supported by well-informed and prompt service. A regular pleasure for locals and worth a trip for city slickers.
- High point: Bar menu that is much smarter than average
- Low point: You may have to wander off the beaten pub track
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Beatles, Bob Dylan, Supergrass and a whole host of 1960s laid-back tuneage
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 15
- Open since: Dec 2011
- House wine: £14 per bottle