- Telephone 0141 357 5482
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5pm–6.30pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.barsoba.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The west end outfit of Bar Soba is a more student-oriented affair than its arguably more stylish city centre sister. Exposed brick scrawled with Asian graffiti adorns the walls, while a large wooden block table with matching high stools runs the length of the space. Known equally for excellent exotic cocktails as it is for pan Asian cuisine, with great mid-week deals on both drinks and food – try an apple and ginger mojito, an unusual twist on a great classic. Students can eat out without breaking the bank, enjoying two-for-one mains during the week – which helps the place be steadily busy when others are quiet. Sushi makes a good starter and crazy boy maki is a crowd-pleaser, stuffed with crab meat, cucumber and avocado and fried in a light crisp tempura batter. A handful of noodle and curry mains are joined by excellent burgers and roti wraps, with their Bangkok burger being top of the list – ground steak, mixed with spring onion and chilli, inside a crisp roti wrap, with an interesting lemongrass mayo and unusual Thai slaw, delicious.
- High point: Tasty burgers, fantastic cocktails
- Low point: Can be tame on the spices
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funk/Soul
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2012
- House wine: £8.95 per bottle