The Balcony Café
- Telephone 0141 427 9550
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–10pm; Sat & Sun 10am–6pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–9.30pm; Sat/Sun 10am–6pm.
- Average price £5 (set lunch); £8 (evening meal)
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Well above par for any sports centre’s in-house catering, this café in the rafters of the converted church housing the Glasgow Climbing Centre is both a welcome pitstop for dedicated climbers and a dining venue with an unusual and transfixing view for other visitors. Serving such specials as salmon-topped pizza, ginger and soy noodles, beef and chorizo stew and haggis nachos, the ever-changing menu is inventive and enticing, incorporating high-quality ingredients with winning formulas. Cakes are great, with the lemon drizzle cake’s filling alternating butter icing and lemon curd in concentric circles of sweet and sharp flavours. Sandwiches include the Chuck Norris, a turkey based sandwich with the subtle spiciness of jalapeño mayonnaise, and a ham, gherkin, rocket and tomato ciabatta. Although of course you don’t have to, it is well worth taking up climbing to justify regular visits to this café; but with such tempting and ample portions, beware you don’t end up too satiated to ascend.
- High point: Top quality ingredients, consistently good cooking
- Low point: A little out of the way if you’re not a climber
Upstairs at The Glasgow Climbing Centre you will find a gem of a café.The Balcony is run by our fantastic Café Manager, Liam. He has created a menu of freshly made sandwiches and delicious main meals served along with our 'real bean' coffee. Pop in for great food, freshly prepared, and enjoy this unique venue. Watch others climbing, or use our free WiFi.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Whole centre can be hired for climbing day, and cafe provides 'Hero Dish' such as a hog roast
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2011
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of The Balcony Café./5 from RSS feed of these comments