- Telephone 0131 229 7747
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–11pm
- Seasonal times Extended hours during Edinburgh Festival and Christmas period
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 3–6pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.kamasutrarestaurants.com
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
If you’re looking for a spot of nourishment in between hitting a couple of Lothian Road’s bars and pubs, then Kama Sutra may serve as your pit-stop. With a menu incorporating classic curries as well as slightly more unfamiliar dishes, there’s plenty here to cater for all tastes. A starter platter for two arrives with a variety of tasty morsels, such as pleasantly spiced chicken pakora and light and feathery onion bhajis. The main courses don’t quite match up to these high standards, however, with an over-sweetened murgh chettinad that falls short of its two-chilli rating on the menu. Murgh Jaipuri is pleasantly spiced but excessively oily, as are the chapatis and nans. Service is mixed, and staff run the risk of leaving some diners feeling ignored.
- High point: Relaxed setting for a curry and a pint
- Low point: Oily main dishes
- Notable dish: Onion Bhaji
- Private dining: Up to 35 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Bhangra music
- Live entertainment: maybe in future, live comedy
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: November 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle