The Bungo Bar & Kitchen
- Telephone 0141 423 0023
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun 10.30am–10pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.thebungo.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Bringing some cool West End vibes to the traditionally reserved Southside, Bungo Bar and Kitchen attracts a range of regulars, from families taking advantage of its dog- and child-friendly policies, to young professionals doing the weekly pub quiz. Drinkers may be pleased by the extensive cocktail menu and well-chosen wine list, while diners have an eclectic mix of world foods to choose from. Small dishes such as chicken satay skewers, sweet and sticky pork ribs or mull cheddar and spinach croquettes can stand alone or serve as starters. Rajasthani red onion fritters are lightly spiced with a nice yogurt and green chilli tzatziki. Mains include a warming Bangladeshi lamb curry with mustard seed-dotted coconut rice and rich cinnamon gravy, while a hugely popular haddock supper, featuring golden puffed batter on tender fish and Bungo’s excellent chips. Desserts include a vanilla-freckled calvados panacotta with spiced apple sauce, and white and dark chocolate bread and butter pudding. There’s also an inventive range of dessert cocktails, including a raspberry crème brûlée and rum-based rhubarb treacle.
- High point: Hip, relaxed ambience
- Low point: Mushy veggie burger
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- Private dining: 25 upstairs, 80 downstairs
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: quiet indie, Leonard Cohen
- Capacity: 70–100
- Largest group: 50–70
- Open since: 2011
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle
There are 4 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Film at the Fringe
An evening of short films by Glasgow-based filmmakers.
The Greater Shawlands Republic
Monthly laughs in aid of the campaign for a free and independent Shawlands.
A dark blend of cabaret, music, mime and comedy.