This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 334 0111
- Food served Tue–Thu 10am–3pm, 5pm–10pm; Fri–Sun noon–10.30pm. Closed Mon
- Pre-theatre times Fri–Sun noon–6.30pm; Tue–Thu 5pm–10pm
- Average price £14.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.lafamigliarestaurant.co.uk
Jump to or comments
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
The status of Nico Simeone, head-chef and proprietor at La Famiglia, is such that the restaurant’s entrance on Cleveden Road bears his name. Add to this the fact Nico’s 2009 award for Young Seafood Chef of the Year sits proudly within the restaurant’s stylish interior, there is very little for the food to hide behind. This self-belief is, on the whole, merited, with La Famiglia combining traditional Italian flavours in a contemporary manner. That said, mains, which number six in total, also lean towards classic French cuisine with a bavette of beef, sitting alongside oxtail ravioli, celeriac puree and creamed savoy cabbage. Corn-fed chicken is elevated with the addition of a technically impressive rolled and stuffed leg. Scrabster monkfish cheeks are paired brilliantly with a saffron and fennel purée. Baked west coast scallops are the only low-point of an otherwise innovative and refined menu, being somewhat over complicated by orange segments and sliced apple. Family snapshots provide a sense of romanticism and heritage to the restaurant’s modern setting, tying in neatly with the ethos of fusing the traditional and contemporary.
- High point: Imaginative and flavoursome cooking
- Low point: Limited choice for veggies
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Mainstream pop/rock
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 55
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £15 per bottle