Saramago Café Bar
- Telephone 0141 352 4920
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am. Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Wed 10am–10pm; Thu–Sat 10am–midnight. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5–7pm.
- Average price £7.50 (set lunch); £11 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £8.95
- Website www.cca-glasgow.com/cafe
Jump to comments (1)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Housed in the CCA, this spacious café-bar attracts a predictably bohemian clientele in evenings, with workers and young families hanging out during the day, especially on Saturdays. Despite the cavernous space and clean, modern lines, there’s a sense of intimacy – music is never intrusive and tables are laid out far enough apart that diners can exist on their own private island. The menu is free from animal products but this isn’t really a feature, the focus is more on Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavours in dishes that happen to be suitable for vegan diets. Starters, or tapas, are notable for their invention and colour. Warm artichoke hearts, curly kale sautéed in garlic and chilli, and roast courgettes with pinenuts and raisins all encourage an adventurous order making ‘five for a tenner after 7pm’ a very tempting offer. Main courses are less exciting, although perhaps a generous portion of linguine puttanesca will always seem bland when it follows such mouthwatering variety. The associated bar upstairs – with notable outdoor seating overlooked by the Art School – offers the same in a cosier, more liquid-minded setting.
- High point: Who knew kale was so moreish?
- Low point: Chocolate cake - texture of cake, flavour of brown
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic, indie easy listening
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2011
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Saramago Café Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments