Saramago Café Bar
- Telephone 0141 352 4920
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Wed 10am–10pm; Thu–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm.
- Average price £12.50 (lunch); £12.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.cca-glasgow.com/cafe
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Teeter down the steep hill from Glasgow School of Art and you’ll find the CCA, a constantly-evolving space that’s not just about contemporary art; as well as galleries, bookshop and club nights, it’s host to the well-travelled Saramago. Although the vegan menu has a Mediterranean bias, this café/bar is not afraid to roam the world, and you’ll be glad they did. The Morroccan tagine is a warming blend of spices, chickpeas and butternut squash served with tabbouleh starred with ruby-red pomegranate seeds. Deeply satisfying gnocchi arrabiata from Italy might follow salty edamame beans from Japan. Cashew and almond dukka sits alongside haggis fritters. The hand-cut potato chips are some of the best around and, with puddings you won’t want to share – like poached pears in spiced red wine. Despite cavernous ceilings, there’s a warm, cosy feel; staff are friendly, with the ease of a laid-back but efficient host. With the upstairs bar providing a livelier setting for drinks (and the same menu), you’d be forgiven for thinking you’d travelled a lot further than Sauchiehall Street.
- High point: Comforting food, perfectly cooked
- Low point: Limited morning menu
- Notable dish: Moroccan squash, chickpea and puy lentil tagine with pomegranate tabbouleh, flatbread and shaved fennel salad
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: A mix of soul, jazz, folk, African, the Velvet Underground, etc.
- Live entertainment: gigs in parts of CCA (club nights when restaurant shut)
- Capacity: 60 (50 outdoors)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 19
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Saramago Café Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments