- Telephone 0131 228 1602
- Opening times Tue–Sun noon–2.30pm; 5–10.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Sun noon–2.30pm, 5–10.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £20 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.kanpaisushi.co.uk
Jump to comments (4)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Kanpai is grown-up, in every sense. The big sister of Sushiya, it is sleek and stylish with conspiratorial corners, soft lighting and elegant plates of all shapes and sizes, in contrast to the brightly lit bonhomie of Haymarket’s finest. Tables range from cosy couples to a private dining area for eight people, or you can sit at the sushi bar and watch your pretty-as-a-picture special combo sashimi being assembled (serves 2–3 or one very focussed enthusiast). The menu might seem as compact as the restaurant, but in addition to a wide-ranging sushi and sashimi selection (with unexpected warm offerings such as the crunchy salmon panko maki), perfect sharing fare in the form of Tokyo rolls and takoyaki (octopus balls) sit happily alongside classics such as soba noodles and gyoza. Bring someone you want to impress, whether for business or pleasure, for lunch or after the theatre crowd has gone, and talk them into sharing a bottle of sake. Cheers – or, as they say in Japan, kanpai!
- High point: Excellent food in a stylish setting
- Low point: Expensive wine
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- Private dining: Up to 8 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Background modern Japanese
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2011
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 4 reviews of Kanpai./5 from RSS feed of these comments