- Telephone 0131 523 1171
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–midnight; Sat/Sun 10am–midnight.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6.30pm, Sat noon–3pm, Sun 12.30–6.30pm.
- Average price £13.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95 (£16.95 three courses)
- Website www.amaronerestaurant.co.uk
Jump to comments (1)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Amarone is fighting to become a go-to venue for all things Italian on George Street. From the suited post-work crowd to hungry shoppers, the cavernous former bank has more than enough room in its 200-plus covers. The restaurant has an open pizza kitchen and counter where you can scoff an early-evening slice, as well as cosier upholstered booths in which to quaff chianti and tuck into the broad menu. There is even private dining in the old safe. Diners who want to make a night of it can try the house cocktail creations before dinner. Big appetites are sated by focaccia bread starters or the bulky, buttery calzone, stuffed with mushrooms and cheese. More refined tastes are treated to dishes like well-prepared carpaccio or joyous sweet queen scallops with umami-rich squid ink tagliolini. Desserts are limited in number, but the panna cotta is a quivering gem: milky vanilla offset by a sweet-sharp coulis to bring a meal to a close with a pleasing contrast.
- High point: Precise, crowd-pleasing cooking
- Low point: You can feel lost amidst the crowds
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Italian Contemporary
- Capacity: 215
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2011
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Amarone./5 from RSS feed of these comments