- Telephone 0131 225 2213
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11.30am–11pm; Sun 11.30am–10.30pm
- Food served Mon–Sat 11.30am–11pm; Sun 11.30am–10.30pm.
- Average price £8.95 one course (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.strada.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Although there is a corporate feel to Strada’s clean lines and functional décor, the spectacular view of Edinburgh Castle from its outdoor tables is surely a one-off. And when it comes to the food, quality is a notch above the standard fare served up by most national chains. Although hampered by its position in a street with limited passing traffic, Strada has acquired a regular following, and it is easy to see why. Even in staples such as bruschetta, the quality of the ingredients raises the dish beyond standard fare, while a funghi polenta underlines Strada’s attempts to be different, with a finely balanced combination of mushrooms sautéed in garlic cream and served with grilled polenta. Mains also stand out: risotto studded with pumpkin, pancetta and spinach, and a well-worked version of fegato (liver served with crispy pancetta in a sage butter sauce) being fine examples. Winning desserts include affogato – a chunk of iced nougat served with semi-freddo ice-cream and an espresso to be added by the diner – which also surpasses the norm.
- High point: Top-notch food for a national chain
- Low point: Unable to shake off the corporate feel
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Modern jazz, easy listening or pop
- Capacity: 145
- Largest group: 52
- Open since: 2011
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle