Cuthberts Coffee & Bistro
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 228 1070
- Opening times Mon–Fri 8am–5pm
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–5pm; Sat/Sun 10.30am–5pm.
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch)
- Website www.cuthbertscoffee.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Housed in the ground floor of an elegant B-listed building (the former St Cuthbert’s Co-Operative Society headquarters, from which the café takes its name), the converted frontage of Cuthberts is impressive. Huge plate glass windows mean the morning light engulfs the interior space, the sunbeams a welcome additional topping on your French toast. Inside its theatrical meets industrial; a scarlet-pink feature wall, chandeliers and plush black drapes collide with exposed structural elements of stone and metal, which go some way to tempering the opulence. Recent changes have seen the gargantuan menu scaled back somewhat, and this focused approach has worked wonders, meaning dishes like the wonderfully thick and creamy macaroni cheese benefit from that little extra care and attention. Friday movie nights remain, though, so you can still enjoy Hollywood classics, complete with buffet, straight after work. Just remember to bring your own wine.
- High point: A movie and dinner all in one place
- Low point: A bit pricey
- Delivery: Only for local offices.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classical jazz with a hint of classic pop/rock
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 60
- BYOB: £3 corkage