The Corinthian Club
- Telephone 0141 552 1101
- Bar open Mon–Sun 7.30–6.30am
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Every day
- Average price £11.50 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.thecorinthianclub.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
This multi-level eating, drinking and gambling emporium is one of the G1 group’s flagship enterprises, with attention paid to creating a dazzling venue. The main dining room is astonishing; everything is on a huge scale, from the enormous glazed dome and wildly ornate plasterwork to the massive seats and A3 size menus. Beyond the façade, however, there’s an effective down-to-earthness. The waiting staff are friendly and the menu mixes splurge options of lobster, steak and oysters with standard bistro fare such as pasta and fish and chips. Lobster bisque is a thrifty way to enjoy the high life: although rather thin in consistency, its flavour has a good balance, and it’s enhanced with aioli and decent bread. Among the mains, the steak burger stands out as particularly well executed – a hearty beef patty cooked on the grill. And the Asian coleslaw adds a welcome crunch. A crisp-skinned chicken breast on mixed mushrooms and spinach with a rich smoked paprika sauce is also a good choice. Desserts are less adventurous, with cheesecake, crème brulee and chocolate fondant among the few options.
- High point: Swanky setting
- Low point: Pedestrian puds
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- Private dining: 12–100, various rooms
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Lounge music and laid-back pop, techno, jazz and funk
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 140
- Open since: 2010
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle