- Telephone 0131 225 1358
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–1am
- Food served Mon–Sat 11am–9pm; Sun 11am–4pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.themelvillebar.com
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Reopened in February 2013 after a substantial refurbishment, the Melville Bar has been transformed from traditional boozer into a modern space with the tired surroundings replaced by clean, slick décor and candlelit tables. The attempt to appeal to a broader audience is evidently succeeding, with a range of ages and characters attracted by an impressive list of cocktails, wines and beers. And, while drinks still account for most of the business, food is now a big draw. Input from a renowned executive chef is reflected in a menu that is well-executed to create elegant dishes that are several notches above pub grub. Soup of the day is delivered in a jug and served at the table, while for mains, an assiette of pork or chicken stuffed with a tarragon mouse underlines the skill in the kitchen. Desserts also display ambition, exemplified by poached pear accompanied by olive oil and pistachio cake.
- High point: Buzzing atmosphere and excellent food
- Low point: No separate dining area
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Modern various
- Capacity: 66
- Largest group: 20
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle