This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 629 9987
- Food served Mon–Sat 5.30–10pm; Sun 5.30–9.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–7pm
- Average price £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10
- Website www.kerclassics.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Situated beneath the Cairn Hotel, Classic’s basement restaurant is a story of two halves, one part lying fallow beyond the breakfast service while the understated, stone-clad main dining area is dominated by a large wooden bar that hints at the room’s former life. Now serving evenings only, the menu drifts from north India to south supplemented by extensive European offerings. Chilli paneer (toasted cottage cheese) arrives in a sticky sweet and sour sauce alongside tandoor-baked besani chicken wrapped in a spiced gram flour blanket. Kerala roast chicken massala features a well-rounded, coconut-rich gravy, although the chicken is a touch dry. Accompanied by a lentil and vegetable sambar, the southern staple massala dosa is a large sleeping bag of spiced potato and onion let down by the pancake’s charred edges and greasy appearance. Fixed three-course Indian and Scottish set menus for early diners make way for a similarly priced two course offering later in the evening. The restaurant is also happy to link together both basement rooms for those seeking larger groups or functions.
- High point: Service aims to please
- Low point: Inconsistency of dishes served
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- Private dining: Up to 35 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: European music and Bollywood
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2010
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Classic's./5 from RSS feed of these comments